A 60 Minutes segment Sunday on Anil Potti has drawn national attention to the case, so we thought this would be a good time to compile all of the retractions and corrections in one place.
Duke has said that about a third of Potti’s 40-some-odd papers would be retracted, and another third would have “a portion retracted with other components remaining intact,” so this list will continue to grow. We’ll update it as we hear about new changes.
- “Gene-expression patterns predict phenotypes of immune-mediated thrombosis,” in Blood
- “Upregulated Oncogenic Pathways in Patients Exposed to Tobacco Smoke May Provide a Novel Approach to Lung Cancer Chemoprevention,” in CHEST
- “Characterizing the Clinical Relevance of an Embryonic Stem Cell Phenotype in Lung Adenocarcinoma,” in Clinical Cancer Research
- “An Integrated Genomic-Based Approach to Individualized Treatment of Patients With Advanced-Stage Ovarian Cancer” in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO)
- “Pharmacogenomic Strategies Provide a Rational Approach to the Treatment of Cisplatin-Resistant Patients With Advanced Cancer” also in the JCO
- “Gene Expression Signatures, Clinicopathological Features, and Individualized Therapy in Breast Cancer” in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- “Validation of gene signatures that predict the response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: a substudy of the EORTC 10994/BIG 00-01 clinical trial,” in The Lancet Oncology
- “Genomic signatures to guide the use of chemotherapeutics,” in Nature Medicine
- “A Genomic Strategy to Refine Prognosis in Early-Stage Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer,” in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- “An Integrated Approach to the Prediction of Chemotherapeutic Response in Patients with Breast Cancer” in PLoS ONE
- “A genomic approach to colon cancer risk stratification yields biologic insights into therapeutic opportunities” in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
- “An integration of complementary strategies for gene-expression analysis to reveal novel therapeutic opportunities for breast cancer,” in Breast Cancer Research
- “Gene Expression Profiles of Tumor Biology Provide a Novel Approach to Prognosis and May Guide the Selection of Therapeutic Targets in Multiple Myeloma,” in the JCO
- “Age-Specific Differences in Oncogenic Pathway Dysregulation and Anthracycline Sensitivity in Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia,” in the JCO
- “Young Age at Diagnosis Correlates With Worse Prognosis and Defines a Subset of Breast Cancers With Shared Patterns of Gene Expression,” in the JCO
- “Age-Specific Differences in Oncogenic Pathway Deregulation Seen in Human Breast Tumors,” in PLoS ONE
- “A genomic approach to colon cancer risk stratification yields biologic insights into therapeutic opportunities,” in PNAS
- “Characterizing the developmental pathways TTF-1, NKX2–8, and PAX9 in lung cancer,” in PNAS
1. “A Genomic Approach to Identify Molecular Pathways Associated with Chemotherapy Resistance,” in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics
It’s important to point out, as one of our commenters has, that while attention has focused on Potti, who resigned from Duke in late 2010, he was just one of many authors on these papers. There are larger issues about data reproducibility and the methods used to come up with the now doubtful data.